Saturday, August 21, 2010

Chocolate Dreams Smoothie & the Fair

Last night, I got home from my last day of my summer job and immediately headed into the kitchen to whip up a cool and refreshing treat. My dad and youngest brother were coming over to pick up my sister and I to go to the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair. We've been going pretty much every year for as long as I can remember. So without a whole lot of time and knowing that Fair food is not really something that I can count on to have a lot of vegan option, I wanted to make something quick and satisfying. Behold the Chocolate Dreams Banana Date Smoothie that I concocted:

Chocolate Dreams Banana Date Smoothie

This was truly divine! With a good dash of protein and a bit of fruit and maple syrup for sweetness, this is definitely a treat I'll be returning to again and again.

Recipe:

* 1 ripe banana, frozen
* 3 dates, chopped
* 2 tablespoons of chocolate peanut butter
(I used Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter)
* 2 cups of almond milk
* 1 tablespoon of molasses
* 1 dash of cinnamon
* 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup
* 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
* chocolate shavings for garnish (optional)

1) Place chopped dates and bananas into a blender and blend until creamy.
2) Add the peanut butter, molasses, cinnamon, maple syrup and vanilla. Continue blending until thick.
3) Add the almond milk and pulse until thoroughly mixed.
4) Garnish with a bit of chocolate shavings.

Enjoy! I know I sure did!

* * * * *
At the County Fair we saw a good deal of farm animals. Below are some of my favorites:

Did you ever notice that when Alpacas eat, they almost look like they might be talking...

What a handsome rooster this guy was

I really wanted to take him home!

These two looked like friends posing together.
I think they were.

Oh hello there!

Truthfully, I'm torn by the idea of the fair. Of course I love the chance to see the animals, but it's also heart wrenching to know that the majority of these animals are destined for slaughterhouses. Not to mention the stress that this environment must be for them. I'm sure many of the animals are treated wonderfully but at the same time strings still tug at my heart when I see their big brown eyes looking up at me from confined crates and pens. Alright, I'll step down from my soapbox now.

Of course we waited in the 45 minute line to ride the Ferris Wheel like we do every year. Tradition is worth the wait and I was clearly in good company though so I didn't mind. =)

Oh and in case you were wondering, I was able to find vegan food at the fair! There was a tent selling Spanish foods and among their menu was mango on a stick (or slices in a plastic sealed bag if you preferred). Although I opted for the mango in a bag option (less mess) I must tell you that I found this little gem absolutely fascinating. It should be renamed the mango rose. I only wish I had snapped a picture but it was late in the night and pretty dark already. Do a google image search if you're curious. It was just the right choice for a healthy pick-me up snack!

I think fruit should be sold on a stick more often. I think I'll look into that...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails